I got my Ph.D. from the University of Bologna in 2000, where I also served as Research Assistant from 2002 to 2005. I joined University of Trento as associate professor in 2005, to become full professor in 2020. I teach courses about algorithms and data structures, distributed algorithms and computer science education.
My research is focused on large-scale decentralized systems, with some digressions in the field of centralized algorithms for graphs analysis. Very recently, I became interested in computer science education; for this reason, I act as a liaison between local schools and our department.
My research interests include distributed computing, fault-tolerance, peer-to-peer, gossip protocols and algorithms for the analysis of very large graphs. My main goal is to develop protocols and algorithms that are capable to scale to massive sizes and are able to survive to failures and to dynamism.
Peersim is a framework for simulating large-scale distributed systems, aka peer-to-peer systems, written in cooperation with Mark Jelasity, Spyros Voulgaris, Gian Paolo Jesi. We are not actively developing it any more; version 1.0.5 has been released on September 29th, 2009.
- Based on SourceForge statistics, it has been downloaded 32,000+ times!
- Based on Google Scholar, 1000+ papers cite it
Jgroup/Arm combines Jgroup, an integration of group technology with distributed objects, and ARM, the autonomous replication management system. It has been written in cooperation with Hein Meling. This project was the output of our Ph.D. theses.
- Full professor, April 2020
- Delegate of the rector for ICT Services, September 2019.
- General co-chair of SASO’18, Trento, Italy, September 2018
- Tutorial speaker at Middleware’16, Trento, Italy, December 2016
- Tutorial speaker at ICDCS’16, Nara, Japan, June 2016.
- Keynote speaker at ACM CompArch’12, Bertinoro, Forli’, June 2012
- Best paper award at P2P’11 for the paper “Cloudy Weather for P2P, with a Chance of Gossip”
- Editor, Special Issue on “Extreme Distributed Systems: From Large Scale to Complexity”, Springer Computing, September 2012.
- My first book about Algorithms and Data Structures (in Italian) has been published in 2010; a new edition has been published in 2014.
- 2011-now: Associate Editor of Springer Computing Journal
- 2012–2015: Coordinator of the Computer Science and Engineering degrees, DISI, University of Trento.
- 2010–2013: Steering committee chair: Peer-to-Peer Computing Conference
- 2010–2012: Coordinator of the Autonomic Security project, financed by the Italian PRIN Programme
- 2010–2012: Member of the Nucleo di Valutazione (Evaluation Committee) of the University of Trento
- 2007–2012: Coordinator of the ATLAS project, financed by the EU-US ATLANTIS Programme
- 2007–2009: Steering committee member, DAIS Conference
- 2006–2009: Coordinator of the Computer Science Degrees, Faculty of Science, University of Trento